Handsworth is a suburb district that is located in the inner axis of Birmingham. It is situated in the northwestern axis of the city, just a few minutes away from Birmingham Town’s center.
The district derived its name from ‘Weorthing’ which was given to it by its Saxon Lord, Hondes. The term ‘Weorthing’ in old English refers to an estate or farmland. The earliest recording of the district was in 1086 according to the Domesday Survey. The survey opined that the district was initially owned by William Fitz-Ansculf, a lord in Dudley. However, at that era, the district would have been a small hamlet that had Woodlands and grazing fields.
The district was formerly in Stratfordshire and was a small hamlet in the medieval era. However, in the 19th century, with the advent of industrialization, the District grew exponentially as accomodation was given to various employees of factories sited in the area. Thus, in the 1850s, the district had more than 6,000 residents. Shortly after the influx, St. James Church was established. Few years later, St. Michael’s Church was equally built.
The district’s development subsequently started as new structures began springing up. The area was known for use of Victorian styles in their architectural works.
In 1911,the parish of Handsworth was moved from Stratfordshire and it formed part of Birmingham’s city. According to Dr. Carl Chinn, a historian of Birmingham City, opined that while the second world War was ongoing, the boundary line demarcating Handsworth Wood and Handswood was instrumental as it saved the residents from being bombed. After the war, there was a need for rebuilding the district, this led to the expansion of the district’s industrial base as well as the influx of many workers from Carribean. The area continued experiencing growth and expansion down the line.
The district has been relatively peaceful though in the 1980s and early 1990s, tension arose on grounds of cultural and racial difference. It was, however, resolved which has developed the relationship of the community. As regards Education, the district has one mixed primary and three secondary schools.
Starting from King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls located at Rose Hill Rd, Handsworth, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham B21 9AR, United Kingdom head northeast via Villa Rd/B4144 and Heathfield Rd to Heathfield Primary School located at 136A Heathfield Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham B19 1HJ, United Kingdom
From Heathfield Primary School head northeast via Heathfield Rd and Birchfield Rd to Late Night Chemist Birmingham located at 256 Wellington Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham B20 2QL, United Kingdom
From Late Night Chemist Birmingham head northwest via Wood Ln to Handsworth Golf Course located at Birmingham, UK
From Handsworth Golf Course head southwest via Grestone Ave and Oxhill Rd to Saint John Wall Catholic School located at Oxhill Rd, Handsworth, Birmingham B21 8HH, United Kingdom
From Saint John Wall Catholic School head southeast via Oxhill Rd to King Edward VI Handsworth School for Girls located at Rose Hill Rd, Handsworth, Handsworth Wood, Birmingham B21 9AR, United Kingdom